Event Blogging Myth and Truth

Event blogging is something that generate quick money in blogging. If you came to blogging only for money or you need good amount for investment then you should try event blogging.

Read: Truth and Tips for Making Money Online In 2015

What is Event Blog?


A blog which target a particular event day/days. Means, if you are writing a blog for upcoming festival or sports tournament, then that's called event blogging.

Event blog is short term blog in which blogger want to earn a lot of money during event period. You can earn good if you plan better for your event blog.

Most of bloggers think that event blogging is easy and its $$$$ machine. But you can not do anything without proper strategy. You should have action plan about whatever you need to do.

Coming to the topic, in last 15 days I have read many case study about event blogging. Successful event bloggers write their success stories but here I'm not going to write about my success because I couldn't do my best. 

But still I'll share my experience about my first event blog.

Focus: I got an opportunity to work on Makar Sankranti event blog which was well established with 1 year of domain age. I have written about 10-12 post and then I fed up with it because I'm working on many blogs and some are still pending to be start. 

Health: Not so good but still managing to update all the blogs. So you have to care about your health too.

Distraction: If you are working without a team then you need to be more focused towards your goal. Try to avoid things that take you away from your goal.

Discipline: There are no office or any fat boss because we work from home. But we have to be more disciplinedto reach our goal.

ROI: Return On Investment is something that we get after investment. Investment in not only terms of money but also your time. Time is the currency of 21st century. Save time instead of money. Forecast about how much you could get from a particular event. If that event could give handsome ROI then go for it.

But think in different way and choose best event to work on. My advice, don't go for Indian events, especially Indian festivals. Let me explain why you should not choose Indian event.

According to my makar sankranti blog experience, I won't ever do any Indian event. We ranked for many competitive keywords and got good amount of traffic.

event blogging


But, CTR was below 3% before 2 days of event.

Next morning, it was lohri (famous festival in Punjab). I tweaked placement and got CTR over 7%. You must be thinking that its awesome. Yes, I got good CTR but Indian CPC always poor.

On lohri day we got overall 390 clicks with CPC of 0.05. Next day, it was main event day and we again got high traffic with CTR over 8% but CPC was 0.07.

So how much we earned, at most 50$. Is it worth our time?

Many bloggers invest their at least 2-3 month but what about ROI?

Before doing any event, must think about ROI. You can not get huge with Indian traffic. Invest that time in your long term blog or any event of US/UK. We can also work on micro niche blog which will give better ROI.

I didn't invest much time in this time but its experience saved my at least 1 month because I was thinking to start a event blog on Holi. I have a good domain name and I'll give away if any one still want to do.

What I Have Learned From First Event Blog?


I would like to share what I have learned from my first event blog. Below are the few points which may help you to get success in your next event blog.

Domain Age: Domain age matters a lot. My partner purchased that domain 1 year before so we could rank easily for many competitive keywords.

Domain Name: EMD is preferable but if its not available the add a extra character at the end of exact domain name. Always choose TLD.

Backlinks: Quantity back links does not matter. We ranked with 5 back links and then build 6 mores. We ranked with only 11 links.

Raed: Simple Way To Build High PR Back links

Content: Write good content with proper On Page SEO. Initially, we were rankling with 6 posts and then I have written 10 more posts.

Renew your domain: You should renew your domain name for next year. You will get advantage of domain age. But you must be thinking about domain name. Let me explain by a example.

If we have a domain name call "happyholi2014.com", should we use it for 2015 holi event blog? Yes, you should.

2014 doesn't matter as you will have 2015 in your post URL if you post content after 31 December 2014.

Ad Unit: We had 70% mobile visitors so you should choose responsive ad. I used 300*250 text ad unit because this ad unit is supported by mobiles too. You can also choose 720*170 custom text ad above post title. Experiment the ad placement 2 days prior to the event. Choose whatever worked for your blog.

You must know something that I have missed here. Feel free to tell us in comment section.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home