Tablets Will Never Completely Replace PC

I recently invested in my first tablet - a Nexus 7 and I’m very impressed with it. It’s light, compact and the screen looks great, and once you get used to all the swiping, It’s very easy to use. There are lots of good, free apps, too although I’d suggest there are just as many rubbish ones, and I do become rather annoyed when adverts keep blocking my view.



But I take issue with the suggestion that tablets will eventually replace PCs and be able to perform everything desktop computers do just as efficiently. For one, the fiddliness of typing on screen means they’ll never be as good for composing and editing documents as a good old keyboard and monitor even if you've got one of the larger-screen devices such as a Pad. I also find I sometimes have to tap something several times to select or enlarge it a problem rye never had when clicking with a mouse. And I’ve still no idea how you print from a tablet without using some sort of ‘cloud trickery. The main reasoning behind the so-called death of the PC seems to be the sales are declining, but this doesn't necessarily mean people are using them less. PCs are, it’s true, more expensive than tablets, but they also need replacing less frequently, especially as you can upgrade the operating system every few years without needing to buy a whole new machine.

I suspect that many of us are now using our PCs and tablets in tandem one at our desks and the other on the sofa. I plan to take my Nexus 7 on holiday this year. Whereas obviously I wouldn’t pack my desktop PC. But I don’t see why you should have to choose between them when you can happily use both.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home